Typhonium brownii is a herbaceous perennial plant producing leaves up to 40cm long from a tuberous rootstock[
Although poisonous, the root was a traditional food of the Australian Aborigines - it is little used nowadays.
All parts of the plant contain calcium oxalate crystals. This substance is toxic fresh and, if eaten, makes the mouth, tongue and throat feel as if hundreds of small needles are digging in to them. However, calcium oxalate is easily broken down either by thoroughly cooking the plant or by fully drying it and, in either of these states, it is safe to eat the plant. People with a tendency to rheumatism, arthritis, gout, kidney stones and hyperacidity should take especial caution if including this plant in their diet[
Australia - Queensland, New South Wales.
Rainforest margins, moist gullies[
Root - cooked[
]. A rich source of starch but, unless it is very thoroughly cooked to destroy the toxins, it can cause severe discomfort in the mouth and digestive tract[
]. Traditionally, the Aborigines would bake it and pound it several times before eating it[
Division of offsets in the dormant season
If you have any useful information about this plant, please leave a comment. Comments have to be approved before they are shown here.