Simaba glandulifera is a shrub with a single stem growing 1.8 - 3 metres tall. The stem is crowned by a cluster of spreading, pinnate leaves 60 - 90cm long from which grows a large panicle, 60 - 90cm long, of highly odoriferous flowers. The whole plant has an appearance somewhat like a palm.
The bark is sometimes harvested from the wild for local medicinal use.
S. America - eastern Brazil.
The bark is anthelmintic, bitter, febrifuge and tonic[
- Dictionary of Economic Plants.
- Uphof. J. C. Th.
- An excellent and very comprehensive guide but it only gives very short descriptions of the uses without any details of how to utilize the plants. Not for the casual reader.
- Diccionario das Plantas Uteis do Brasil
- Correa M.P.
- Imprensa Nacional; Rio de Janeiro
- A massive work in 6 volumes giving details of the various uses of Brazilian plants.
- Medicinal Plants of Brazil
- Mors W.B.; Rizzini C.T.; Pereira N.A.
- Reference Publications; Michigan.
- An extremely concise book, listing approximately 1,500 species and varieties of plants with their botanical name, common name in Brazil, regions in Brazil where the plant is found, a brief list of uses and any medically active compounds in the plant.
If you have any useful information about this plant, please leave a comment. Comments have to be approved before they are shown here.