Palaquium merrillii is an evergreen tree. The straight, cylindrical bole can be up to 80cm in diameter[
- Commercial Woods of the Philippines; Their Preparation and Uses
- Philippines Bureau of Forestry Bulletin No. 14
- Schneider E.E.
- Bureau of Forestry; Manilla.
- A series of booklets dealing with various aspects of the Philippine forests. This volume looks at the preparation and uses of the commercial woods of the Philippines. It can be downloaded from the Internet.
The tree is harvested from the wild for its wood, which is used locally and also traded under the name 'Nyatoh'.
Southeast Asia - Philippines.
|Other Uses Rating||
We do not have any more specific information on the wood of this species, but it belongs to a group of timbers collectively called 'Nyatoh'. The general description of nyatoh wood is as follows:-
The heartwood is a dark pink to a red-brown; it is clearly demarcated from the 4 - 9cm wide band of lighter-coloured sapwood. The texture is medium; the grain straight or interlocked, sometimes wavy. The wood is light in weight, soft to moderately hard; strong, somewhat durable, being resistant to dry wood borers, moderately resistant to fungi but susceptible to termites. It seasons somewhat slowly, with a high risk of checking and distortion; once dry it is stable in service. There is a very variable content of silica according to the species, but in general the wood has a high blunting effect so stellite-tipped and tungsten-carbide tools are recommended; nailing and screwing are good, but require pre-boring; gluing is correct. The wood has a range of applications, including for high class furniture and cabinet making, solid doors, panelling, joinery, parquet flooring, boat decking, light carpentry, turnery, moulding and veneer[
- Tropix 7
- An on-line guide to the timbers of 245 species of trees.
- A Dictionary of Malaysian Timbers
- Malayan Forest Records No. 30
- Wong T.M.
- Forest Research Institute Malaysia; Kuala Lumpur
- A fairly comprehensive guide to Malaysian timbers, giving their properties and the main tree species from which they are obtained.
If you have any useful information about this plant, please leave a comment. Comments have to be approved before they are shown here.